October 22, 2021
General Membership Meeting October 28, 2021
JFT’s general membership meeting will be held on Thursday, October 28, 2021, via Zoom at 5:30 p.m. Election of delegates to the LFT Virtual Convention will be held at this meeting. The LFT Virtual Convention is Saturday, November 20, 2021, at 9 a.m.
On November 13, 2021, Jefferson Parish residents will be asked to vote on a millage renewal to fund the current salaries and benefits for Jefferson Parish School teachers. This millage was originally approved by voters in 2003. This is a renewal, not a new tax. There is no additional cost to taxpayers.
Vote YES on this critical renewal!
Early Voting dates are October30, 2021- November 6, 2021 (closed Sunday, October 31st)
Election day is Saturday, November 13, 2021
LFT will host a professional development session for Paraprofessionals and School Related Personnel (custodians, secretaries, clerks, cafeteria employees, etc.) on Saturday, November 6th, 9:30 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. This workshop is entitled “Advocating for our Professions: Securing RESPECT”. The workshop presenters will be Lauren Samet and Violet Knoll, of the AFT PSRP Department. All JFT PSRP members are encouraged to attend. Below is the link to register for the workshop. The deadline for registration is November 4th.
JPPSS Open Enrollment
Open enrollment is currently underway through November 15. Please check the district’s website for your school’s assigned enrollment day.
- Face-to-Face Enrollment- Enrollers are available from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday-Friday at Central Office (501 Manhattan) and the Emenes Building
- On-line Self Enrollment- Go to https://Harmony.benselect.com/enroll
- Your username is your SSN, and your pin is the last four of your social and the last two digits of your birth year. For example, last 4 of social 1234 and last two digits birth year: 70- The pin is 123470
- The system will prompt you to review every line of coverage available
- Dependent social security numbers will need to be entered
- A confirmation email will be submitted upon completion
- Telephonic Enrollment- Call 1-800-658-8686
Enrollers are available from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday-Friday
PSRP Computer Training
- PSRPs will be paid to attend a 3 -hour tech training.
- In-person sessions will be held at the JFT Office.
- If you already attended a Basic and an Intermediate training over the summer, you are not eligible to attend again.
Basic Training Sessions will be held on:
- Basic Chromebook Functions
- Google Suite Intro
- JPSchools website practice
An Intermediate Training will be held on:
- Google Suite: Gmail (review)
- Google Meet, Google Sheets, Google Docs,
- Practice on Relevant Professional Websites
American Federation of Teachers
Settlement gives student debt relief to thousands
The AFT’s lawsuit against the Department of Education was settled this month, and already student loan borrowers are seeing their student debt forgiven or dramatically reduced. Under the historic agreement, all Public Service Loan Forgiveness applicants who were denied relief can have their cases reviewed, and tens of thousands—including public school educators—are expected to see life-changing results. “The AFT is committed to helping our members, our students and our communities thrive,” AFT President Randi Weingarten writes in her monthly column. “Higher education is a means to that end. It should be affordable, not a debt sentence.” Above, Weingarten (in blue) with other plaintiffs in the case, Weingarten v DeVos.
Chevron announces a $100,000 investment partnership with DonorsChoose.org
Chevron announced a $100,000 investment in partnership with DonorsChoose.org to help Louisiana teachers rebuild their classrooms and get back to learning. Teachers can request what they need to replace items that were damaged or create a new learning environment for their students. If you are a public school teacher in Jefferson Parish, Chevron will support your project via DonorsChoose.org, until the program funds have been exhausted.