Back-to-school employee orientation should always include a review of state, system and school policies and procedures. This activity may not seem like a priority while you are focused on that first day with students. However, you are accountable for knowing these policies and procedures regardless of whether or not you're received training:
- Employee use of technology
- Student use of technology
- Handling money
- Emergency procedures
- Selection and use of videos
- Reporting absences
- Dress code
- Universal health precautions
- Sexual harassment
- Observations and evaluations
- Any others that may apply.
All Jefferson Parish School Board policies can be viewed online at https://www.jpschools.org/Page/253. Please note that Section G pertains to employee policies.
Best Practices: while policies and procedures define your working conditions, best practices are the daily routines that combine official rules with your work experiences and common sense.
- Avoid situations where you are alone with a student. Never be in a room with closed doors with students or parents alone.
- Touching students for any reason can be problematic.
- Learn which students have special needs. Provide and document the required accommodations.
- Keep your personal belongings locked in your classroom or in the trunk of your car.
- Be at your duty post on time.
- Maintain an up-to-date substitute folder and have lists for splitting up your classes with assigned students and teachers
- Keep a professional file at home with credentials, documents, employment information, observations and evaluations.
- Maintain a log of all contact with parents
- If you have a problem at school, don't try to resolve it by writing a letter to your principal or supervisor. Talk to your JFT Building Representative and if needed, call the union for advice and guidance.
- As a rule, you should sign documents when requested. If you disagree with the contents, you may include a statement like "My signature indicates only that I have received this document. I do not necessarily agree with the contents, and I reserve the right to respond.
The best advice: If you find yourself in an uncomfortable situation, document the situation and speak to your JFT Building Representative or call the JFT office at 504-454-5047.